By the end of the course the participants should feel more confident in the identification of raptors, in particular those seen in the Cairngorms National Park and surrounding area. They should also feel they can see a way forward in how to improve on their raptor identification skills and that they have learned some useful hints and tips on telling difficult species apart
- The course will be based in the Cairngorms National Park and run over two days. It will include a day in the ‘classroom’ and day in the field.
- It will cover all regular UK species of raptor, but with a focus on those species found in the Cairngorms National Park including scarcer species.
- The ‘classroom’ day will cover all aspects of raptor recognition plumage, structure, flight, habitat and calls how to tell the difficult species apart and a host of other useful hints and tips.
- The field day will be out in suitable habitat for a selection of species to put into practice what was learned the day before.
- The course is run by Speyside Wildlife using one of our experienced guides, Duncan Macdonald, who has had a particular interest in raptors for many years.
- The course will take place on 16th and 17th September 2020 with the classroom day on 16th and field day on 17th September.
- Lunch is provided on the classroom day but please bring a packed lunch on the field day.
- On the ‘classroom’ day please bring paper and pencil and your favourite bird book we tend to use the Collins ‘Bird Guide.
- For the field day please bring your binoculars, telescope if you have one, your bird book and paper and pencil to make notes also suitable clothing for a day in one of the glens, as weather is unpredictable
- The course is £195 per person including VAT.
Feedback from Previous Participants
“I’d highly recommend this 2-day course to anyone interested in birds. I’ve learned lots and am looking forward to learning more.”
“Duncan’s tuition has been fabulous, tailoring it very well to all levels. Thank you!!”