By the end of the course the participants should feel more confident in the identification of bird songs and calls, in particular those of birds found breeding in the reserves, parks and gardens of inland Northern England. We shall cover the ‘how to do it’ of song/call identification, with lots of tips and hints on how to learn birdsong, focusing on specific species, with the aim of participants learning some of the more common species songs and calls. Participants will cover how to learn birdsong, improve their song and call identification skills, as well as understand why birds sing and call in the first place.
- The course will be based in West Yorkshire and run over two days.
- It will include a day in the classroom and a day in the field.
- The ‘classroom’ day will cover why birds sing and call, plenty of hints and tips on how to learn bird song and how these can help your birdwatching.
- By the end of the two days, participants should be able to identify a selection of the more common songs and calls heard in the area.
- The field day will be in suitable habitat for a variety of species, to put into practice what was learned the day before.
- The course is run by Speyside Wildlife using one of our local guides, Julian Sykes.
- The course will take place in May at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, with the classroom day on 5th and field day on 6th.
- Lunch is provided on the classroom day, but please bring a packed lunch on the field day.
- On the classroom day please bring paper, pencil and your favourite bird book. We tend to use the Collins Bird Guide.
- For the field day please bring your binoculars, telescope if you have one, your bird book, paper and pencil to make notes, also suitable clothing for a day in the local area, as weather is unpredictable.
- We may use a couple of locations for the field day, please have your own vehicle with you to travel the short distance between them.
- The course is £195 per person including VAT.
Please click the following links to apply or contact us if you have any queries